f

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Sunday's Soup/The Best Tortilla Soup!

It's no secret that I love a bowl of soup :) I love the melding of flavors, and the warmth. A bowl of soup is like a comforting warm hug, at least for me.

I recently had lunch with a friend and ordered a bowl of Tortilla Soup. It was good, but it made my mind begin to race, and I thought, I think I can make a better bowl of soup. 

So once in my kitchen, I gave it a try and if I say so myself, it was the BEST tortilla soup I've ever had.


It's a very simple recipe. I used 2 large cans of fire roasted tomatoes. The soup I had at the restaurant was basically just a tomato broth, I wanted something a little more robust, so I added shredded cabbage and sliced carrots.


While the basic soup is good, this one is all about the toppings. I topped it with some tortilla chips, sliced avocado, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and added a slice of lime.


If you're like me, it's just not quite complete without a kick, so I added some freshly sliced jalapeno to my bowl.
  

To eat, just take your spoon, crunch up the tortilla chips and avocado. Stir in the cheese and squirt the lime juice over all. Then dig in!
   

If you would like to give it a try, here's the recipe;

Tortilla Soup

2 25 oz. cans diced fire roasted tomatoes
2 cups slivered green cabbage
3 medium carrots sliced thin
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 cloves garlic minced
1 jalpeno pepper seeded and chopped (optional)
8-10 cups vegetable broth
(The broth should be quite thin)

Toppings;
tortilla chips
sliced avocado
shredded sharp cheddar cheese
(Mexican chihuahua cheese would also be great)
sliced jalapenos
sliced lime

Simply combine everything into a large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender. 
Ladle into bowls, add toppings and enjoy!

If you would like a non-vegetarian version, top the soup with a little shredded chicken.

This soup could also be made in a crock pot. Just combine all of the ingredients. Set on low for the day and enjoy when you arrive home tired and hungry. 

If you give it a try, I hope you love it as much as my husband and I did!
Rhonda 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

4 comments:

  1. Tried this soup, but added ground beef as I cooked the soup in my Instant Pot. Hubby enjoyed it. Thanks for the recipe--now have two quarts of it in the freezer for a quick fix on a busy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband really enjoyed the soup, but I think he would have liked to have been invited to dinner at your house 😉 He tells people that he is vegetarian by proxy! I know he would have loved the addition of the beef. So happy you enjoyed it 😊

      Delete
  2. I made this soup this weekend (minus the jalapeños) and my husband and I love it. Thank you so much for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YEA!!! So happy you enjoyed it 😊 As for the jalapeños, I love a little spice 😉

      Delete