f

Friday, September 23, 2016

The Dressmaker

I had the wonderful opportunity to see a screening of The Dressmaker on Wednesday evening. While the clothes are central to the movie, it's about so much more. A bit of a Shakespearean tale of love and revenge. But, it also is a lesson on hate, jealousy and how both can destroy those who seek to destroy another.   


Kate Winslet plays the role superbly. I loved that she is not this tiny little wisp of a woman, but a woman with curves, and it's the curves that really make the clothes come to life. There's a line early in the movie where one of the town's people says, "a dress can't change anything." Kate Winslet's character replies, "watch and learn."  


I love this picture. The power of a sewing machine and how it can not only transform a piece of fabric, but a person's entire life. 


I've included the trailer, In my opinion, the trailer really doesn't capture the true essence of the movie.   



There's a motto that I live by, "No weapon formed against me will prosper." What I have learned, is that for a period of time, those who hate us and want to see ill come our way may seem to have the upper hand. But, in time, in time, right will prevail. The truth will be made known. And this is the true essence of the movie.

The movie is funny, dark, haunting, sad, and uplifting. This is a movie that I look forward to watching again. It's a rich story that I think will have a little something different to say each time I see it. 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

22 comments:

  1. I loved the movie too, found outand watched it in the plane, had totally missed it upon release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should really try and see it on a big screen. The clothes really come to life. I'm looking forward to seeing it on a smaller screen now so I can concentrate a little more on the nuances of the story.

      Delete
  2. Haven't seen the movie, but I really enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think now that I've seen the movie, I need to read the book. Books always give more than a movie. I tend to be one of those crazy people who sees the movie and then reads the book ;)

      Delete
  3. The book is even darker and the clothes are not centre stage. I have seen the movie, which is really fun, and also an exhibition of the clothes up close and personal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I hope the collection will make its way to the U.S.

      Delete
  4. I saw the movie as well and agree with your review of dark, funny, sad and uplifting. Loved those dresses to pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki left a message and said that she saw an exhibition of the clothes. Fingers crossed that they make their way here!

      Delete
  5. The book was good , but very quirky . Can't wait to see the movie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking it was the one you recommended about the seamstress on the Titanic I read it. I don't know what book this is, but it looks like a great movie. Thanks!
    Hugs, Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be a little dark, but just try to see the message. The clothes are amazing, and Kate Winslet was wonderful.

      Delete
  7. I loved the movie, more so than the book - it had less sexual violence. I felt it was a fair depiction of Australian country life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think you convinced me not to read the book. but I will see the movie again.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the review; I've been looking forward to seeing that one. I always wish I could watch films like that with my Gramma (who bought me my first sewing machine, sewed my wedding dress, made my uncle's fancy equestrian habits, and did couture for us for Christmas--in Montana! I still remember a particular black velvet jacket with a jeweled closure over a satin plaid dress...). And thanks for sharing your motto--I love it!! I think I'll put it up on my bulletin board (that one appeals to the Celt in me!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's the Celt in me too that loves the quote :)
      What lovely memories you have of your grandmother. Something else the 2 of us share :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the review-I will definitely add this to my queue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I first learned about this movie a year ago, but found out it was only released in Australia. Since it wasn't in the US, I decided to read the book. I enjoyed it, but it had a lot of terms you needed to be an Aussie to understand. I look forward to comparing the book to the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll have an easier time with the movie. And from what others have shared, the book is much darker than the movie and the clothes are much more a central part of the movie.

      Delete
  11. I just read a review of the movie in our newspaper. One thing I thought was interesting and fun to know is that Kate Winslet actually knows how to sew. She said her mother made doll clothes and such for her. Kate also does "fixes, tailoring, curtains, stuff like that." She and her 15 year old daughter sew together, she said. She did have to learn how to use the old Singer machine. I looked up the book on Amazon to read the pages it allows and I think I'll pass on the book but the movie sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed this movie - just seeing the clothes was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete