f

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Sunday's Supper/Mushroom, Kale and Wild Rice Casserole

I love going through Pinterest and finding dishes that look so good that I can almost taste them right through the screen. In fact, if I'm hungry, I'll pin recipe after recipe. Sometimes I look back and wonder what I was thinking ;) 
When I saw the recipe that I'm sharing today, I was hungry, but I didn't have time to make it at that point. Well, my wait was rewarded as this is a delicious meal. It's a little rich, as it includes butter, cream, and cheese. Oh well, a little butter, cream, and cheese is a good thing, every once in a  while :)
The picture below is from The Kitchen Paper website. Doesn't this look good?!!
And here's mine.
Full of mushrooms and kale!
I made just a few small changes. 
The recipe says to cut your onions into thin rings. I chopped my onions. 
I used a smoked Gruyere cheese. I really like the smoked flavor. If by chance you can't get Gruyere, mozzarella would be a fine substitute.
The recipe calls for fresh oregano. I forgot to buy fresh oregano, and I didn't have any dried oregano, so I substituted Herbs de Provence.  I think I might like the flavor better.
The recipe is fairly large, so rather than putting the entire amount into 1 large casserole dish, I divided into 2 and put 1 in the freezer for another time. I love cooking once and having multiple meals :)  
This is a dish you can make as a main course, or a side dish. If you are having someone come for dinner who is a vegetarian, this dish coupled with a salad will make them quite happy. And then serve it to the rest of your guests as a side dish. 
You can find a printable version of the recipe HERE
Hope you enjoy it!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

5 comments:

  1. This looks lovely. Thank you for sharing this. I love kale and mushrooms. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I agree that Herbes de Provence go very well with mushrooms & cheese - great substitute. I'm going to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll love it. My husband took one bite and said, "this is great!"

      Delete
  3. This casserole is making my mouth water. Herbs de Provence sounds like a fabulous change. How do you think it would be if you added black beans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would add lentils rather than black beans. Lentils seems to absorb the flavors rather than change the flavor. I made this last week and we had it for dinner a couple of nights and for a lunch as well. We really enjoyed it :)

      Delete