f

Friday, February 6, 2015

The Gift Of Having a Sewing Community

Happy Friday Everyone!
Our usual Fabulous Free Pattern Friday post will be back next week. I have a number of projects that I need to work on, so something had to give and it ended up being my usual posts :( So sorry.
Today, I would just like to share a little story.
Back in November, Shams of Communing With Fabric posted a picture of this pattern.
Shams saw a post that Anne-Marie of Le Mani D'Oro had posted asking if anyone had the pattern and if so, would they be willing to sell, rent or trade. Anne-Marie had also posted the pattern on Facebook. I had the pattern and in the correct size!!! Within a few hours, the connection was made, the pattern packed and on its way to Canada. The only caveat, I wanted the pattern back. Anne-Marie offered to pay for using the pattern, but I told her to just reimburse me for the shipping and that would be plenty.
When the pattern made its way back to Chicago, it was not alone. In the package was a lovely card
a beautiful piece of silk,
and the best part......an original Labrecque sketch on the back of the envelope!!!! How lucky am I????
This is getting framed!! 
The power of the internet. Amazing! Isn't it wonderful that we have a way to connect?!! 
So on days when you are alone at your sewing machine, smile and know that you are not really alone. We have the most wonderful community at our finger tips who are not only creative, but so very kind, generous, and supportive. And they can make things happen in a flash!!!
Have a wonderful day!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

31 comments:

  1. Indeed Rhonda, you are generous, kind and supportive. Thank you for sharing this gem with me. Stick figures are the only ones I can draw. This was a very humble drawing. Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That drawing could not mean more if Picasso himself had done it. It's not only a masterpiece but a lovely gift :) Thank you Anne-Marie!

      Delete
  2. Awesome! That sketch is perfect! <3

    I too have benefited from the awesomeness of sewing friends. One even traced from Burda for me! Can you believe that?!?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. :) such a community of wonderful, generous and kind people.
    I'd love to meet so many of you 😄

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww! How sweet of Anne Marie and how gracious and trusting of you! I can't wait to see her fabulous dress from your pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is why I love people sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was very lovely of you both. Fabulous sketch and sentiment. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that story and love all the wonder sewing sisters out there in internet land!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I just found a new blog to follow! I love meeting my Canadian sewing sistas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy that I could help you make a new connection :)

      Delete
  9. Two wonderful people making connections- love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a similar experience with someone from Australia. I sent her an OOP New Look pattern to borrow, and she sent it back with some lovely goodies! My family was amazed:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there,

    Me too, whilst living in Turkey ( U.K. born and bred, as they say) so many of my lovely, wonderful sewingsista's held me out with supplies etc. I reciprocated in anyway that I could in return.
    The truth is there is nothing like this wonderful community for sharing skils, expertise and guidance, getting together much sought after supplies and all wrapped up in a bundle of love.
    Having returned home to the U.K. it was these very same sewingsista's that prayed and held on tight to my husband and daughter when I underwent life saving surgery, following a bodged operation back in the U.K. An amazing, loving generous family that I daily count my blessing for them being in our world.
    Can't wait to see what you make with the beautiful silk. I agree, the sketch is priceless and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's lovely Rhonda a great sharing of creative resources.
    I love this pattern could you possibly take a picture of the instruction sheet that has the pattern layout so I could try a self draft of this I would love to try to make it .

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sewing community is wonderful (as is that silk)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes that s fabulous I love our community

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous story! I can't wait to see what Anne-Marie does with it. Those Issey Miyake patterns are something.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is this pattern from the early 80's? I had a co-worker 20 some years ago who would sew Issey Miyake patterns often.
    Rhonda, do you have plans to make this dress soon?
    It is so nice to see sewing friends helping each other out to create garments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful story, dear Rhonda. It's so easy grow fond of you ...

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful - such wonderfully generous women around the world ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kindness is thoroughly rewarded. It is lovely to know that there is still trust and kindness in the world, and it is right here in our own sewing community.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Agree, the sewing community is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely story, beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely story, beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Internet friends are great! I have also lent a pattern to someone who was after one via Facebook. Even better she also lives in Melbourne and came to my office to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete