f

Friday, September 12, 2014

Pant Drafting, Part 3

Drafting the Front Pant Pattern
Now that we've taken our measurements, it's time to begin the drafting process. This will be a 3 post process. Today we will begin with drafting the front pant. I will post the directions for drafting the back pant tomorrow.

A to B is crotch measurement.
 From both A and B, draw right angles across.
 B to C is 1/4 of hip measurement plus 1/4" for ease.
 Complete the rectangle by drawing a right angle line up from C, to A line and mark as D.
 Extend out from C 2" or 1/4 of B to C and mark as E.
Divide C to D line into 3 equal parts. Mark first mark as F.
 Connect F to E with a straight line.
 Find the center point between E and F. Draw a straight line to C.
 Divide G-C line into 3 equal parts. Mark closest to G will be H.
 Beginning at F, draw a curved line through H back to E.
 Divide E to B in half and mark as J.
 Square a straight line through J.
 K to L is the pant length measurement.
 At L square a line across. L to N is 1/4 of leg opening and L to M is 1/4 of leg opening measurement.
E to O is 1/2".  
Connect O to M with a straight line.
 B to P is the same as C to F.
 Connect P to N with a straight line.
 Smooth out at P with a slightly curved line.
D to Q is 1/4 of waist measurement plus 2" for darts. So if your waist measurement is 28", add 2" for the dart allowance. Divide 30 by 4. The result is 7 1/2". In this example D to Q would be 7 1/2".
 Connect Q to P with a curved line.
Once we draft the back pant we will then add the darts, so at this point, put the front pant aside and congratulate yourself on a job well done!.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

15 comments:

  1. You make it look so simple. I am off out to buy some pattern paper today. Decent trousers here I come! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have talked about this. I don't buy expensive pattern paper. I go to the office supply store and purchase a roll of white paper. I love it! The nice thing about plain white paper is that I can see through it. Works great.

      Delete
  2. This is such a great tutorial, Rhonda, so clear and do-able.Thanks so much for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny! Well, whether anyone gives it a try or not, I'm having fun. Designing, drafting and teaching is obviously a passion :)

      Delete
  3. Oooo Rhonda! I'm having fun, too!! Measured myself last night (with the help of hubby; we had a good laugh) and then drafted the front pant. So curious to see how this will affect fit, when all is said and done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be drafting your own pants I have a feeling :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you Rhonda, this is so clear, I am attending an ASG Convention Workshop 2 days to draft our pants and 2 days for the couture details. This has given me a heads up thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this awesome series. How about the ease at leg opening ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When measuring around the foot as I showed you, you should be able to slip your foot out of the measuring tape. So you do not pull the tape tight.

      Delete
  6. I am so excited. I did it. Thank you for taking the time to do this. Now to do the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo Hoo!!! I'll post the instructions for adding the darts and shaping the pants on Tuesday. I'm so happy that you are enjoying the drafting.

      Delete
  7. Oh I can't wait to do this this weekend. I am so darn excited. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, it's so nice to see someone so excited about pattern drafting :)

      Delete
  8. Hi,

    This looks good. Much simpler for newbies like me.
    Do we really have to add darts for pants worn with long tops. I want a fitted pajama pant.

    Regards.
    Nuzhath

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want a fitted pant, it will need darts. As for pajamas, just remember to not make them toonrestricting as you want to be comfortable when you sleep 😴

      Delete