f

Thursday, September 11, 2014

A Day of Remembrance

A hero is a man who does what he can.

It began as any other day, a cup of coffee, a bowl of cereal, a quick look at the news and the weather, then off to get dressed. A friend called and said that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center. Hmmm, an accident I was sure, somehow a small plane had flown off course and was unable to make the turn to avoid the building. My friend called back, "Did you turn on the television? Another plane has flown into the twin tower!!"  Now I knew, this was no accident. I turned on the television and saw that the pentagon was in flames. Who would be next?
As the morning continued to unfold and the towers fell, I called my husband in tears and begged him to come home. I somehow felt that as long as we were together, it would be okay. Friends called from Germany and Italy, "Are you okay?"
Thirteen years ago, the thought that someone would take a plane and turn it into a missile was unthinkable, And now today, it's difficult to believe that in our modern day people can harbor so much hatred toward another that they can find pride in brutally beheading another. Atrocities happen, they have since the beginning of time and they will until the end of time.  But rather than focus on evil, I would rather focus on the goodness of man. I've shared this video before, but I think it is an excellent way to to pay tribute to this day. The focus is on the goodness of people and how they came together to help others, not on those who created the chaos.        



From "Hinds' Feet On High Places"
That is the only really satisfactory way of dealing with evil, not simply binding it so that it cannot work harm, but whenever possible, overcoming it with good,



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I just can't let this day go by without a tribute.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in Canada & never knew about this massive "boatlift" evacuation. Thank you for this fantastic tribute Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really interesting and a very touching film. We didn't get to hear about this in the UK. I remember watching events unfold on the TV here. A terrible day. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this, Rhonda. I miss so many people today. And every day.

    I remember rushing to give blood; I was still in line when we learned there was no request for blood for the victims in the Towers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nonetheless, you are a hero. I think the film shows that it doesn't take some great act, but the simple gift we can give of our hearts that matters.

      Delete
  6. Americans are the most resilient people, such courage shown when it's time to do the right thing. Thanks for the remembrance and thanks for sharing !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment you give to Americans, we do appreciate it. But the longer I live, the more I see that we are all the same, we love our families, we long for a good life, we want to see the best in others, and when put to the test, we arise.

      Delete
  7. Extraordinary == thanks so much for posting this. Exemplifies the great heart and magnificence of Americans. #NEVERforget. God bless America and us all.

    ReplyDelete