f

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sunday's Soup

It's January, it's cold, at least it is where I am. Whether it's warm or cold, it seems that January makes everyone think a little about their weight or or at least eating a little healthier. I came across this recipe from Weight Watchers and it sounded interesting, so in the spirit of the month, I thought I would give it a try. The ingredients are a bit different, things I don't typically use. I really wasn't sure about the addition of the Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix, but I was pleasantly surprised. The soup is more of a chili than a soup, but as I said, I was pleasantly surprised, so if you like chili, I would recommend giving the recipe a try. You can find the original recipe here, http://ww-recipes.net/2012/01/weight-watchers-taco-soup-recipe-4-ww-points-6-ww-points-plus/. If you are paying attention to calories, you can find all of the information on their website.
I did make a few changes that I will share with you at the end of the post.
 Weight Watcher's Taco Soup
Ingredients
1 lb ground beef or ground turkey breast
1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (any flavor)
1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes (Mexican flavor)
1 large onion (chopped)
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package hidden valley ranch dressing mix
1 (15 ounce) can hot chili beans
1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn

Preparation
1. Brown the the meat and onions and drain.
2. Mix the taco seasoning mix and ranch dressing mix into the meat.
3. Add all the other ingredients, without draining.
4. Simmer for about 1 hour.
5. Serve hot, topped with sour cream, cheese, avocado, raw onions, or nacho chips (optional).
Servings: 10

My changes;
I did not use ground turkey or beef, rather
This is a meat substitute. I like it. Since it is a soy based product, there is no fat. 
I did not use the Mexican flavored stewed tomatoes. Instead I used the Rotel with Habanero peppers. I do like spicy!
In an effort to make the taco seasoning mix a little healthier  I chose one with lower sodium.
As you can see, the soup/chili has a rich and satisfying look. The corn adds just a hint of sweet flavor that is nice.
There are only 239 calories per serving. Be careful of with your toppings as they can add up to quite a few calories very quickly. This recipe will freeze beautifully and is perfect for a weekday lunch.  
Enjoy!



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I was a little unsure as I looked at that recipe. I am a vegetarian but brought up on good tacos! (Old El Paso for sure). Then I saw you used soy and was delighted. Copy and print and thanks!

    ReplyDelete